Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Ahhh... what a weekend. It's with a big smile that I write that I haven't checked my e-mail since 4 PM on Friday. That's a sign of a good weekend, no?

Xs + Os = Ws
On Saturday, I was fortunate enough to witness the first Husky football win of the 2006/2007 season.
Maybe it is a meager 1-0, but that's a record the Huskies haven't enjoyed since 2001. And nobody around Montlake is taking this momentary joy for granted.

"For me," coach Tyrone Willingham said, "that is priceless."
- King County Journal, 09/03/2006


While the plays were sloppy, and the refereeing was even sloppier, I'm happy with the outcome. In a season where fans are being warned by commentators to "lower their expectations," I would counter that our expectations couldn't get any lower. My hope (prediction?) is for three wins. We're a third of the way there boys, now go get 'em!

The Gorge in George
Sunday included the long drive to the Gorge to see the Dave Matthews Band. I can't say that I'm a super Dave fan, with stickers in my window and signs advertising that I'm making the trek over to the Gorge, but I can say that L.O. and I enjoyed the day, and definitely enjoyed the band jamming on stage. As an added bonus, I got to hear another favorite of mine, O.A.R.. A friend of mine had said some months back that I would appreciate O.A.R. more when I heard them in concert. I have to say, I totally agree. They were really good.

The only downside of the concert would be the weird mix of fans that you get at a Dave concert. I wonder if my experience would be different if we were sitting in an auditorium somewhere. Seems that the drug culture is alive and well at the Gorge, and the contact high that you get just sitting at the event is not always welcome. Guess that's what you get when you mix diverse populations. I'm all for diversity, I just wish that I didn't have to endure the second hand smoke.

All in all, though, I'd say it was a great weekend. I got to hear Dave jam live, I got to hear O.A.R. in person, and I got to see the Huskies pull out a win. What more could you ask for in a weekend?

No comments: