Thursday, January 22, 2009

Improving Home Improvement

Over the past two weeks, we have been somewhat uprooted, as Lennie and I (well, really Lennie mostly) took on the task of redoing both of our bathrooms. At the time that we started the project, it seemed like a good idea to do both at the same time, since my parents were out of town and we could stay at their house while we had no showers. In true optimist style, I thought that we'd have the project done in a few days, just under a week tops. Boy, did I overestimate our skills! :-) Actually, I underestimated the amount of time it would take for things to dry and for us to wedge home improvement into our busy work schedules. Minor miscalculation, to say the least.

So, we were displaced out of our home for over a week and a half (thanks Mom and Dad for putting up with us!), and I was eager to get us back in the condo. On Tuesday evening, we were able to return to our mostly completed house -- despite the dust. As I said before, Lennie did most of the work, and I'm really proud of him. I did, however, learn the finer points of mudding and taping drywall, and I did a pretty good job if I do say so myself! We've still got another coat of mud to put onto the drywall, and we do need to install shower doors, but we're back at home and loving it.

I've been taking photos of the whole process, so I'll be sure to post them when the drywall is complete, the paint is dry, and the shower doors are installed. Until then, I'm grateful to be home in my own bed and enjoying the condo again.

No comments: