Thursday, June 15, 2006

Oh! The Irony!

So earlier this week I wrote in my blog about American Express' lack of thinking about credit card security and their marketing promotion requirements. What should land in my inbox this morning but this:

Subject: SecuritySnapshots: Tips for Avoiding Credit Card Fraud

Dear KermitFan,

American Express is committed to educating you on ways to protect yourself against fraudulent activity. Did you know that you can get a free copy of your credit report every year? Information on credit reports, along with other helpful ways to manage your credit, can be found below.

  • The Free Annual Credit Report Program

  • Stay on top of your American Express Card accounts

  • CreditSecure® from American Express


  • Seriously folks, you can't make this stuff up. First they want me to provide all of my account information -- including the "security code" from my card to register for a promotion (how do I really know that the e-mail isn't a phishing scam?), and now they want me to believe that they're committed to protecting me against fradulent activity? Hmmm... seems like they should be a little better coordinated in their messages over there...

    No comments: