Let me tell you: changing your name is a heck of a lot of work! I have done 95% of the work now, but I still feel like I'm in limbo -- when I talk to people that I already know, especially in a professional setting, how do I let them know that my name changed? Is it a footnote in the conversation? Do I correct them when they call me by my maiden name? When I leave voicemails, what last name do I leave in the message? Lots of questions, no great answers.
Okay, back to the "work" side of changing your name... there are a lot of places that you need to change your name, places that you never even think of... here's a sampling of places where your name is important:
- Social Security (obvious, right?)
- Driver's License (easy -- done in 30 minutes, and my photo is seriously HOT!)
- Bank (I'll write another post about this one later... still in the middle of it!)
- Passport (10 to 12 weeks? Yikes!)
- Credit cards (Really? All I had to do was call the 800 number? Too easy!)
- Insurance (Check.)
- Car title (whooppsss, forgot this one!)
- Grocery & other loyalty clubs
- Airlines -- mileage plans, etc. (I'll write about this one in another post too...)
- And the list keeps going, and going, and going, just like the Energizer Bunny!
I have to say, though, I am enjoying my new name -- it's really kind of growing on me!